My approach helps people feel better about their relationship with their dog and it also helps them feel better about other things in their life. The diagram below shows why I believe it works.
- The reason we have a dog (or dogs), in our lives is personal to each and every one of us. It follows that how we live with our dogs is also unique. As far as I’m concerned, there is no single ‘right way’.
- Our dogs connect with us emotionally. They act on what we are feeling and the intensity of that feeling in the things we do, say, or think.
- We (the humans that is), can block out how we are feeling. We get busy doing things. Our thoughts can become disconnected from our feelings.
- When we are struggling with something about our dog and looking to others for help to resolve it, we sometimes miss looking at our side of the relationship, how we are.
- If we start to reflect on how WE are REALLY feeling we can bring things to our awareness that we had previously blocked out or didn’t consider important.
- When we bring more parts of ourselves to our awareness, we get a different perspective. Its what we do when we step back to see the bigger picture. As we work in this way, on the areas that our dogs bring to our attention, we can start to experience a more fulfilling, richer relationship with our dogs and with ourselves. And we thought it was just about the dog.